BlondieChell and The Curse of The Black Thumb

    This post is in loving memory of the tomato plant that will most definitely pass away..... Last week my son's preschool took a field trip to a local greenery (or whatever-they sell things that grow).  I do not frequent these places.  It is obvious.  Apparently I have a "black thumb".
     For some reason unbeknownst to me (is that even a word??), all the little children in my son's class came home with a tomato plant.  Not a flower (I'd feel less bad about it dying if it were a flower), but a plant that grows something edible (although I know some flowers are edible too, that's not the point).  Feeling obligated to give this plant a fighting chance, I asked his teacher what I was supposed to do with it.....She told me to just toss it-but I was not about to commit plant homicide so easily...
      Now I'm not completely unfamiliar with tomato plants-it seemed that my grandmother would plant them every summer in her front yard.... However, we do not have a yard...we live in an apartment complex, so transplanting the little guy is out of the question.
      My next stop was the lawn & garden section of our local retail store.  I found a small pot for the plant (in hopes of it growing in the kitchen) and I approached the sales associate with a few questions about my project.  She asked me if the plant would be producing cherry tomatoes or regular sized ones, and I told her that I didn't know.  Then she laughed (very, very professional).  She said, "Well, if it produces regular sized ones, it's not going to stay in that pot for very long." And according to her, that was the end of our conversation.....
    Feeling left to my own devices (not the smartest idea), I transferred the plant into it's new home, and have been watering it daily.  It is not dead yet.  In fact, it even seems to have grown a little bit taller....I'll let you know how long it lasts ;)

Comments

Post a Comment